Friday, September 9, 2011

Paper Cranes





    Someone asked me what would I be if I were an object. "A paper crane," I answered. A paper crane just like the one Sadako made. She was one of the victims of the Hiroshima bombing sixty nine years ago. This morning, while arranging my files, I found the poem which I wrote when I was seventeen years old. I read it in between sips of a cup of decaf coffee. Twenty four summers came and left after I wrote it, I still want to be one of the ...


PAPER CRANES

In the darkness and silence of the night,
I could not bear to think of a blissful sight.
All i could see was a bright but painful light,
The fallout which ended thousands of lives.

I t has been decades of winter ago,
When the nightmare happened and the whole world saw.
The sufferings and pains brought by the deathblow
And heard the blameless victims' cries of sorrow.

A child's life was reaching the horizons swiftly,
And was told to make a thousand cranes to be lucky.
She wanted to survive and live in this world with glee,
With hope in her she made paper cranes to be free.

Almost a thousand came when death struck like thunder,
And then she was only but a memory to remember.
Hundreds and thousands of paper cranes were made years after,
But even a million could not bring back a life lost forever.

Today our future remains vague and uncertain,
With a threat of another war to happen again.
But if in our hearts we make one paper crane,
Peace will come and things will never be the same.

Let us make paper cranes in memory of the child,
And the innocent victims whose lives were sacrificed.
If paper cranes did not sprinkle breath to a dying life
Our future we could save if we forget arrogance and pride..

First posted on Facebook - Thursday, March 11, 2010 at 11:53am





No comments:

Post a Comment