Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Count Your Blessings

      My daughter Samantha joined the outreach program initiated by the school where she studies. They visited an orphanage which takes care of boys and girls until they reach the age of eighteen. The organizer of the activity requested them to bring tokens which consisted of soap, face towel, toothpaste, toothbrush, shampoo, candies and biscuits. I bought everything listed. I also decided to buy something extra for my daughter’s orphan partner - a mug, a pad of paper, hair accessory, pencil case and pens. I placed them in a gift bag. When I came home, Samantha immediately checked if all tokens were bought. I gave her the bag. I told her to observe the reaction and the expression on the face of the orphan the moment she receives it from her.

      I was sitting on one of the school’s benches waiting for Samantha to arrive from the orphanage. It was exactly twelve noon when I saw the van slowly making its way to the parking area near the front gate. We had lunch at a nearby fast food center. I asked her about the orphan. Samantha said her name was Christine. She told me how glad and grateful she was upon receiving the gift. She even received a big hug from her. Samantha felt a twinge in her heart when Christine said that finally she has a mug of her own and pens for school. It was a learning experience for my daughter. Now she understands why I tell her, her brother Tim and sister Schin, to give thanks everyday. They should not complain when we could not replace their old shoes at once. Others walk barefoot on their way to school. They should not murmur when we can’t buy a new dress or shirt anytime they want to. Others settle with tattered clothes. They should not ask for more than what is enough. Not everyone has food on their table every meal, not everyone has a house they can call home, not everyone has parents who take care of them and love them every moment of their life. There are many things to thank for – good health, loving parents, wonderful friends, happy family-and these are not material things. They should be grateful because they could be in the situation of those children craving for kindness, love and affection from the parents they have never seen or never had much time to be with. Those orphans could be them. The most wonderful thing they can do is share the blessings they have with the children who unfortunately have to experience life’s bitter at an early age.





















“The joy of life comes from the wisdom of counting your blessings and never your troubles. Focus on what you have and have a thankful heart.” -Fr. Ronald 6/30/019:58:18 am

First posted on  Facebook - Monday (1/18/2010) also in my column ( Cebu The Voice).

No comments:

Post a Comment